Coach Kristin getting in some low bar squats.
DL off 4" Blocks
12 Minutes Alternating:
- 15 KB Swings (2/1.5)
- 15 T2B
Coach Kristin getting in some low bar squats.
- 15 KB Swings (2/1.5)
- 15 T2B
Don't forget our Community WOD tomorrow, April 19th at 12:30pm. This is a great way to introduce your friends to CrossFit, and you're welcome to work out right alongside them!
Sign up here to reserve your spot - be sure to reserve both yours and your buddy's spot!
Have your buddy fill out our online waiver before class.
- 30 DU
- 20 Pistols (10L/10R)
Brought to you by Coach Alex
I’ve know K-Tjen for the last two years, and what progress he’s made. K-Tjen was a client of mine when I worked solely as a personal trainer, and when I made the switch to United Barbell he came along with me. Initially he and I trained at 6 am, which to be honest would be pretty horrible if it was with anyone else. If you’ve met “Special K” you know what a happy and positive person he is, just a joy to be around. Soon enough K-Tjen was inquiring about the 7 am class, and within a month he was through the onramp process and beginning his CrossFit career.
Ever since then he has been coming 3+ times a week and has never looked back. Although I’m seeing much less of K-Tjen than I used to, I’m happy that he has found a form of fitness he can maintain and love. He’s an awesome guy, which is why he’s this week’s awesome. Oh yeah, and he’s a member of “Team Asia” (as they call themselves) of one of 2 teams competing on May 10th, at the Golden State Games in Stockton. K-TjenRoses are red, kilo plates are blue, if you're sweating at 7 am, K-Tjen is too
- 50 Wall Walks
- 100 Slam Balls (40/20)
- Partners at the same time
15-minute time cap.
Please note there will be no Oly class tonight.
We are so excited to meet your friends as we open our doors for a free, beginner-friendly WOD for you and your buddy! Just a reminder to register now for Saturday's Community Day class at 12:30pm. The class is free for both you and your buddy. We have lifted our class cap, so the more the merrier! We hope to see you there!
(Reminder: Make sure to come early to have your buddy sign the waiver. To save some time, you can have them fill out our waiver online before they arrive.)
We are preparing to make some changes to the AM class roster. Stay tuned next week for the announcement of additional classes as well as some time changes that will be going into affect the beginning of May!
- row 30 calories
- max Russian twists
Spring is here. In California the spring equals, among other things, avocados! And since you know fat's a friend, not a foe, you can properly celebrate with these 20 paleo recipes from parade magazine. Have other avocado favorites? Post a link to the comments!
1. Pumpkin Spiced Avocado Smoothie – I love adding avocados to smoothies. It may sound a bit weird but don’t knock it until you try it. Pumpkin spice and coconut milk are the predominant flavors in this smoothie and avocado creates a thick, creamy texture similar to a milkshake.
2. Baked Avocado and Egg with Miso Butter – Cooking an egg inside an avocado creates a tasty breakfast full of protein and healthy fats. Miso butter adds a ton of flavor.
4. Chilled Tomatillo Avocado Soup – Avocado acts as a thickener in this recipe to create a rich soup that you’d never know is missing the cream.
5. Avocado Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps with Bacon – In a different take on egg salad, avocado binds eggs and celery together for a simple lunch or snack.
6. Grilled Avocado and Peach Salsa – Have you ever tried grilling an avocado? It creates a smoky flavor perfect for salsa! This recipe is wonderful on top of fish and poultry.
7. Grilled Spicy Cilantro Shrimp and Spinach Salad – Perfect for lunch or dinner, this salad is both flavorful and filling.
8. Mini Bacon Guacamole Cups – These guacamole-filled bacon “cups” are pretty much the ultimate appetizer.
9. Rock Shrimp Cobb Salad – This salad is a tasty lunch or dinner option.
10. Scallop Ceviche with Orange and Avocado – If you love scallops as much as I do, this ceviche is for you. Avocado is the perfect complement to the shellfish and orange brings a refreshing citrus note.
11. Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Cream Sauce – In addition to creating a rich, creamy smoothie, avocados are the perfect base for a healthy cream sauce.
12. Baby Kale Salad with Strawberry and Avocado – This is a perfect summer lunch or appetizer!
13. Tuna and Avocado Stuffed Tomatoes – This satisfying lunch is brimming with nutrients such as omega-3s, something many of us lack in our everyday diets.
14. Southwest Meatballs with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce – A dinner so flavorful you will never miss the pasta!
15. Paleo Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing – I always love a good taco salad.
16. Blackened Salmon with Mango-Avocado Salsa – Avocado and fruit salsa is always a perfect companion to fish.
17. Grilled Pineapple Burgers with Spicy Avocado Cream – Who needs a bun? This burger is incredibly satisfying.
18. Paleo Steak and Avocado Roll-up – I love steak and avocado together, which is why this wrap is especially intriguing. It requires a specialty ingredient that can easily be swapped with lettuce for a convenient meal.
19. Chocolate Avocado Pudding – You haven’t fully experience the wonders of avocado until you try it in pudding or mousse.
20. Perfect Chocolate Ice Cream – This ice cream is better than store bought and so much healthier!
- 30 Front Rack Dumbbell Lunges (45# | 25#)
- 10 Plyo Push Ups
There's been a lot of great things happening around UB. But a couple of highlights from this past weekend require some attention. Please take a couple of minutes to read this epic 2 part blog-o-glory brought to you by myself and coach Trent.
brought to you by T-Pain
At the average but not so Average Joe’s competition United Barbell showed up in full force. We had 4 men and 4 ladies competing. Diablo Crossfit ran a well organized competition and here is the breakdown from this weekend.
The first half of the day was the men. There were two workouts with 10-12 competitors in each heat. Our athletes battled through a barrage of sandbag and axlel bar exercises. With coaches James and Trent in their corners, the men fought hard through each workout, pushing to their absolute breaking points. Josh Tobin “Tobias” was up first out of the six heats. Staying unbroken with all axle deadlifts and thrusters he placed in the top 5 of each of his heats. Next up was Shaun K. Making quick work on the sand bag drags and sand bag burpees he fought hard till the end also placing in the top 5 of his 12 person heat. Jeremy Reither and Rich Stone were to finish out the days heats. Both placed in the top 3 positions of their heats. Surrounded on both sides by great competitors they stayed the course and pulled ahead while others tanked. Stone moved on to a triple elimination final with an epic display of pull ups, push press and double under consistency to help him come from behind and win his heat. All UB men did a hell of job and made their coaches proud.
The second half of the day the ladies showed up and represented hard. All day the loudspeakers were blowing up. “Out of no where CrossFit SOMA” the commentary said. Again with 12 competitors in each heat we had Lindsay Dagan and Haley Beauchamp in heat two, Ruth Galpin in heat 3, and Jo Gail in heat 4.
In heat 2 Hayley came out strong not knowing she would quickly become the rabbit for all the girls to chase. With doubts by the commentary, Hayley stayed with her pace never deviating and took first in her heat. Lindsay displayed epic strength prowess making the axle power cleans and thrusters look like childs play. Coming right behind Hayley in the second heat to round out a 3rd place finis,. Ruth “Ruthless” Galpin took the field after heat 2. With a set of 10 axle thrusters and 5 sandbag burpees to start, Ruth worked her consistency through each movement and battled to an epic 2nd place in her heat. It was a rock star of a moment! Last but not least Joanna “Jo” Gail took to the battle grounds. Quick with axle and sand bags she demonstrating strength and the capacity to go long giving her two top 3 finishes.
It was then to the finals for Hayley and Joanna. Triple elimination brought Joanna to the 2nd heat after an epic comeback during the 15 push presses. Jo ended just short of getting to the final heat taking 5th overall. Hayley was cool and calm through both the first and second elimination rounds taking first in both. She was then in the finals with the four toughest ladies of the day. It was a sprint that consisted of a 500 meter row 15 Overhead Squats and then a first come first serve prowler to the finish line. Hayley was seconds away of getting to the prowler finishing out the day with a fourth place finish.
Overall the day was filled with emotions of excitement, anxiousness, and pure HAMness! For a number of our athletes it was their first competition experience and definitely not the last. The thing with competition is that it fuels the fire to burn stong into the next. Just an endless cycle of getting more bad ass. I speak for the entire coaching staff at United Barbell when I say we are so blown away and proud of our athletes this weekend. You just put United Barbell on the map huge! Way to represent crew!
When Olivia and I started UB, we started with the dream that we would create a facility where people could realize themselves as athletes capable of anything they put their minds to. Just over 3 years later, and the results are palpable. Icing on the cake is to have our coaches continue to set the standard for what's possible. As 2014 CrossFit Open closes and the 2014 Regionals season begins, we get to have both.
This year, on May 30 - June 1, 2014, we will be sending not 1, not 2, but 3 athletes to the compete in the CrossFit NorCal Regionals! Up first we have coach Trent who will be representing UB for the 2nd year in a row! He has worked hard over the last year to keep himself at his best while working on his weaknesses from last year's Regionals. Next we have coach James. He set his sights on this goal last year and has followed his program with unwavering dedication. It has been a great pleasure to watch what tremendous gains come from relentless commitment and focus. Last, but certainly not least, we have our female athlete Colleen representing. I have had the distinct pleasure of coaching Colleen over this last year. The woman is the epitome of everything it is to be an athlete and her tenacity will continue to serve her as she climbs the CrossFit ladder.
What an awesome dream come true to have these 3 fantastic athletes and people represent us on the CrossFit mainstage! Congrats you three! You done us proud! (more details on Regionals' details coming soon!)
- 75 Power Snatches (75# | 55#)
Friday's noon class
Switch every 250m
7 K2E before returning to rower
- Max Reps Squat (225/145)
- 7 Burpee Box Jumps (24/20)
This Saturday, United Barbell athletes will be competing in the Average Joe's competition, presented by Diablo CrossFit. The competition itself will take place at Universal Sports Academy. Please come out and support your fellow athletes! Details below.
Here's how Diablo describe the event:
"We have had many requests and inquires about all the 'average' people in the CrossFit world who love participating in classes and the CF Open but would never enter a competition due to the very competitive athletes that attend the “regular” CF Comp circuit.
So we are happy to support all you with the competition bug and help you become 'the best of the rest'!
Date: Saturday, April 12th
Men: 8:30am- 11:30pm
Women: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Universal Sports Academy
330 Ferry Street,
- 10 Manmakers (25/15)
- 30m Plate Pinch Carry (25/15)
For more grip training use Oly plates, which are smoother, without a helpful groove.
This week's Dose of Awesome brought to you by Coach Trent.
We got two Malone’s at UB, not related, but luckily enough they don’t throw down in the same class because stuff would just blow up on impact. Today we talk about the spunky Jenn Malone! Jenn’s been at this CrossFit game for just over a year now. Over this time she has made awesome progress. Busting out pullups, doing snatch and clean work in her free time, and getting involved with the community inside another gymnasium to bust some heads in dodge ball. All these things come together to make Jenn the awesome athlete that she is. UB you better recognize. Congratulations Jenn keep on conquering!
Malone squatting big!
50-40-30-20-10 reps of:
- Double unders
- Sit ups